Pages

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Robert Sherman

I'm sure most of you Disney folk have heard the news about Robert Sherman, one half of the Sherman Brothers, who were responsible for most of the Disney tunes you hum today (It's A Small World After All, A Spoonful of Sugar, and many more) passed away earlier this month (been meaning to write this for awhile).

I have taken this especially hard as I have a deep fascination with Disney Parks music and, to me, is the best part of any of the parks. Especially, the entrance ways when you first enter the park (I have some experience with this when I worked in the recording studio for Universal Orlando and had the pleasure of developing the mixes for each of the "lands.")

What I love so much is the music you hear paints only part of the picture. It outlines the image, but allows your imagination and perception of the music to fill in the colors, and the Sherman Brothers were masters at this (to see, or rather, listen to what I mean, go check out the hauntingly beautiful score to "Magic Journeys" (not the single, but the actual underscore of the music).

What I really liked about Robert Sherman is the signature to his music. He had a percussive, march-like style that really stuck in your head in good ways (Miracles from Molecules, One Little Spark, Meet the World), and some, well, other ways (It's A Small World).

At any rate, we lost a musical legend this year. I'm sure he and Buddy Baker are making beautiful music in heaven. Luckily, we still have Richard and great composers like Bruce Broughton to follow in the steps of the great Shermans.

Rest in Peace, Robert. Your inspiration is certainly a reason of who I am today, and I just want to say thank you.



              Robert B. Sherman 1925 - 2012

No comments: